Apricot chicken was a staple dish when I was growing up. It pleased everyone in the families taste buds; you could whip it up in a flash on those busy weeknights and mealtime was stress-free! So when I became a Mum and I had to feed my own little family, apricot chicken came to mind. However, my kids have been raised very holistically. I made apricot chicken the first time the same way it was served to me as a child, and they absolutely hated it! In their words, it tasted fake!
So I gave up the idea of apricot chicken altogether. Until recently, when I had a beautiful pile of fresh apricots sitting in my kitchen. I had the idea to create the recipe from fresh ingredients. It was a HUGE success! My family adores this recipe as do I, it’s an upgrade to the traditional recipe and I know you will love it.
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 600g chicken thigh fillets
- 1 brown onion, finely chopped
- 6 fresh apricots, halved and destoned
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 3 tsp wholegrain mustard
- 1 tbs apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup of organic chicken stock
- 2 tbs fresh lemon thyme leaves
- Pre heat oven to 160°. Heat oil in a heatproof casserole dish over medium heat. Season chicken and add to dish. Cook for 8 minutes, turning halfway. Chicken should be browned before moving to next step.
- Remove chicken from casserole dish, cover and set to the side.
- In the casserole dish add onion and cook for 4 minutes or until softened. Add apricots, sugar, mustard, vinegar and stock. Stir until combined and the mixture comes to a boil.
- Return the cooked chicken to the dish, add the thyme, stir to combine and bring to a simmer.
- Cover and place in oven for 25 minutes.
- Serve with rice, pasta, vegetables or salad.