The secret of using lemonade to make scones was revealed years ago. It really is the simplest way to whip up a batch of scones in minutes. I love the ease of using lemonade, however, the reality of using regular lemonade in food makes me feel very uneasy.
We don’t drink sugar-laden drinks, so why would we cook with it?
I adore replacing pretty much every ingredient found in recipes with more traditional and healthier options. I play around with ingredients and recipes until I get them just right. I have the perfect organic lemonade scone recipe to share with you and it tastes fantastic!
You wil need: Organic self-raising flour, cream (preferably organic), organic lemonade and an organic egg.
Simply mix together and turn onto a floured surface.
Cut into shape.
Place on a baking tray all huddled together.
Enjoy warm with your favourite condiments.
I have popped the full recipe below on a recipe card just for you.
- 3 cups of organic self raising flour
- 1 cup of organic lemonade
- 1 cup of cream (preferably grass fed and organic if you can)
- 1 small organic egg lightly whisked for glazing (optional)
- Preheat oven to 220 C. Line your baking tray with baking paper.
- In a large bowl add your flour, lemonade and cream. Mix with your hands until just combined. Don't over mix.
- Turn onto a lightly floured suface and knead gently until just combined.
- Spread dough out until it is 2cm thick and cut with your chosen cutter.
- Place scones onto your baking tray. Always keep the scones huddled together. They will support each other during baking.
- Brush the top of the scones with your egg mixture to ensure a nice golden colour is achieved during baking. This step can be missed if you'd like.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes or until they have risen and are golden.
- I use Parker's Organic Lemonade, it's an Australian owned company and they make the best organic lemonade you can imagin.