My dogs just love supper! Somehow over the years, I fell into the trap of giving them a little treat well after their dinner. A night time treat comes their way just the kids are brushing their teeth and getting ready for bed. It works well because once the kids are in bed they know it’s time to settle down for the night, giving them a little supper fills them up and they happily doze on their blanket until they go to bed later that night. Yes, they are completely spoilt, they are simply too cute not to spoil.
I tend to give them a small piece of cheese or leftover meat from dinner. I’m not a fan of packaged dog treats and my dogs aren’t either! However, there are days I don’t have anything to give them and I get a little stuck. So, my little man and I have developed the perfect organic recipe for making homemade peanut butter dog treats and I thought I would share it with you this week.
The recipe calls for organic ingredients because that’s how we roll but of course, you can use any ingredients you like. Also, we use wheat flour BUT be careful because some dogs are allergic to flour/wheat, please ensure your pooch has no allergies before making these.
- 2 1/2 cups of organic whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup organic crunchy peanut butter
- 1/2 cup mashed organic banana
- 1/2 cup of water
- 2 organic eggs
- Place all of the ingredients into a large mixing bowl and stir to combine as much as you can.
- Turn the mixture onto a lightly floured surface and knead until the mix comes together.
- Roll out the dough about 1 cm thick and use a cookie cutter to make your shapes. The treats won't spread or rise, so they will keep their shape well during baking.
- Place treats onto a lined baking tray.
- Bake at 180 degrees for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown.
- Allow to cool completely on the tray.
- Store treats in an airtight container.
- Please be aware some dogs are allergic to flour/wheat, this recipe is not suitable for them.